[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
M.S.R.P. II • View topic - The Steel Hit...[Tag RP with Nick Bansfield]

M.S.R.P. II

Archived
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:13 am 
Intermediate
Intermediate

-1-

When Skimm knocked on the office door, he wondered suddenly if this was something Parker would kill him for.

He'd heard the rumors about Parker from the other guys in the business, guys like Ed Mackey and Jimmy Chambers and Harry Boyle. The rumors were mostly violent, things like: "So then Parker shot the guy in the fuckin' balls," or, "Parker never fucking forgets, man, I wouldn't cross him." Skimm considered most of it talk, he'd met Parker twice before on jobs and hadn't found him to be all that dangerous. Cold, efficient, and not a whole lot of fun, sure, but he didn't seem like the type that'd cut your nuts off for takin' a bit more of the stake.

Hiring a private eye though? That was almost like turning the law on him, but not quite. Skimm--or Lasker, as his driver's license claimed--just wanted to find out if Parker was dealing with the cops in exchange for protection from the Outfit, or something like that. Nothing more.

Skimm, in his fraying leather jacket and suede loafers, knocked again and lit a cigarette. It was getting late.

[Tag, Nick:)]

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

I was playing desktop basketball with a pile of crumpled bills I wasn't going to pay, tossing them at the wastepaper basket next to the door, when some good-for-nothing had the indecency to knock. I looked up at the clock. It had stopped. I looked down at my watch. Ten past five. A yawn ripped open my face unstoppably. I should have been at home. Running a distracted hand through my hair, I called out to the figure hovering outside the door. "Come in!" and then leaned back. A hand fumbled over the doorknob and twisted it, and eventually shoved it open. A biggish guy of not too many years and a hard, tough face; wearing an old leather jacket with loose stitching at the collar and dusty pants. He looked awkward. He mashed a cigarette between his fingers without realising he was doing it, and he shifted in his sticky-looking loafers in the doorway. He walked in silently, and yanked out a chair with solid durability. I smiled a little, and let him start.

TAG!

Private Detective for Hire - PM for details

Inventory

NPCs:

----------------------------------
Personal Weapons On Hand:
Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:10 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

Skimm grinned, showing off teeth that had less than a passing acquaintance with his toothbrush. "I heard from a buddy'a mine, guy named Leroy Mathers, that you do good work." Skimm--or Lasker--reached into his jacket and flopped a thousand dollars in twenties and fifties in front of Bansfield, tapping some cigarette ash onto the heel of his shoe. "I want you to follow a guy, just see what he does for a few days. See, I'm doing this thing with him, and I need to know if I can trust him."

He dragged off his cigarette, waiting for a reply. Bansfield, he decided, didn't count as law. He didn't smell like law, or look like it either. Somewhere in-between, Skimm decided.

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:40 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wow. That was a lot of money. I was trying as hard as I could not to gawp. Must be a G at least. What had he just said? Ah yes, Leroy Mathers. What a chump that guy had turned out to be. Still, paid the bills, which couldn't hurt. I looked up at the man grinning like an insurance salesman grins at on old lady with a heap of cash and a lot of uninsured property. I cleared my thoraot, trying to drag my greedy little eyes off the heap of cash. "Uh-huh, that should be okay. Can I get the details, Mr...?"

Inventory

NPCs:

Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:45 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

"Lasker, and that's all you need to know about me."

He dragged off of his cigarette, then paused for a second as he gathered his thoughts.

"The guy's name is Joe Flynn, I guess." Skimm knew better than to use Parker's actual name. "He's staying downtown, at a place called the Marion, real dead-beat dive, know what I mean? You'll recognize him pretty easy. Joe's a tall fella, broad shoulders, real hard looking." Skimm leaned forward and stubbed out his cigarette in Bansfield's ashtray, and grinned. "You don't mind rough trade, do ya'? This fella is supposedly a pretty wooly guy, but I think it's mostly talk. All I want you to do is see where he goes and who he talks to, nothing real specific. Think you can handle that?"

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:27 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

"I'm fairly honest," I said, the words catching on the dollar signs in my mouth. "I don't play rough. But if you're just warning me about this Joe, that's okay. I haven't any moral objection to playing with rough boys. As for this," I indicated the money, "much as I'd love to do an impression of Howard Hughes counting his small change, I'm going to have to turn it down."
Lasker's lip twitched, as though he wasn't used to men turning down large amounts of money to do dirty work for him. I shrugged apologetically. "Either way, I can handle this cat, no worries." I said. He grinned with all his teeth bared. It reminded me of looking at very old piano keys.

Inventory

NPCs:

Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:09 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

Lasker shrugged, stuffing the bills back inside his jacket. "No skin off my nose, jack." He stood, lighting a new cigarette, and walked to the door as he said, "I'll be back in a week or a few days for a, you know, a report or whatever. Seeya, pal." And with that, he opened the door and walked into the hall. A block over he caught a cab back to his hotel room.

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:02 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

I watched him leave with a look on my face which might be best described as perplexed. Joe Flynn; I wrote this down on my notepad, next to ‘Marion Hotel’. I then tore off the strip of paper and put it in my breast pocket, behind the pale blue display handkerchief. The outer door clicked shut, and my client’s footsteps echoed away, leaving behind that empty space he’d just occupied and that pregnant silence. I scraped my pencil across the desktop, then gnawed on it for a while. When I felt I had done this enough, I threw it back into the desk drawer and stretched out in my chair. Eventually, I fetched my hat and coat from the stand, put then on and left. The Ford was playing up. There was something wrong with the brakes, that made it hard to turn corners very tightly. I didn’t have the cash to risk taking it to the garage. I had a friend who would look it over for free, but once they identify a problem, it’s a felony to carry on without getting it fixed. He might be able to do the work cheap if I asked, but times were still hard and he had five kids to feed. On the way downtown, I thought about my mark. This ‘Joe Flynn’ was hardly likely to be using that name if he was sufficiently in demand to have a dick hired to cover him. It would have to be an ID job, visual. Old school detective work, like they taught in police training. I could think of a few ingenious ways to get this guy, but to start with I decided to hark back to my stakeout days and simply wait. With this not-too-complicated tactic in mind, I parked opposite the Marion, far enough away from the teenagers lobbing empty beer cans at my vehicle. Just because a guy has a half-decent Ford, these bums can’t hold themselves back. I hoped they’d all get drafted. A little of Uncle Sam’s discipline would straighten them up like a shot. They grew bored pretty soon, when the notion that I wasn’t going to succumb and leave permeated the fog around their brains. I could return to safely monitoring my surroundings. The Marion was a low down dive, no mistake. It was one step below a freeway motel, and one step above a flophouse. There was a main entrance of two rather loose wooden doors, and a side exit which led into a dubious looking alley on the building’s left. The edifice itself looked as if it had been made in a sandcastle mould, which had then crumbled as the tide came in. There was a tower at each corner of the roof, blocks of which fell apart every few minutes, releasing debris which fell perilously down onto the street. Chunks of yellow plaster narrowly missed the pedestrians below, probably avoiding being knocked out and waking up in the hotel’s economy oven with an apple in their mouth. I kept my eye on the hotel’s exterior, the jaded yellow making it look jaundiced. A woman of doubtful morals entered, and left half an hour later, straightening her broad hat and reapplying her lipstick. An even shiftier number, a pug-nosed little fireball direct from a Warner gangster picture, sidled out of the side exit and tried to subtly polish up his knife, with middling success. An animated smirk uglied up his face even more, and he faded into the shadows of the alley. I put my fingers to my pocket for a smoke, and began coughing even before they touched the side of the carton, so I contented myself to gnawing on my unlit pipe. Six o’clock passed, and still a no show. Soon it would be too dark to pick out my subject from the other big bruisers who seemed to populate the dive. Bah, screw it. I put my hand to the gearstick, and my other to the key in the ignition, but something stopped me. I would give it five more minutes. I was soon glad of this instinct. A large guy in a dark suit stepped down onto the steps with an air of quiet confidence. He was a big, solidly-built number, but he carried himself beautifully and with ease. The edges of the suit jacket, which had at one time been well-made, swung gracefully over a tightly toned upper body. His face was worn, but watchful and hard-set, with a prominent forehead. His thinning grey-white hair was clipped short and neat around his narrow head. He descended a few of the seven or eight steps leading to the street from the porch, then stopped. He looked from side to side with alert caution, but didn’t seem at all nervous. On the contrary, he observed his surroundings brazenly, then walked down the rest of the steps onto the cracked sidewalk. A platinum plated lighter flashed out of his pocket as he raised it to light a filtered smoke which he placed between his full lips. His hand cut through the air a waved for a cab. Twenty yards away, a driver folded up his paper and got into the taxi he had been leaning against. I turned the key in my ignition and eased out of the space just as the cab, with Flynn in the passenger seat, cruised past.

TAG! I figure you can do the next bit. I don’t want to put words in your mouth by saying where you go. Feel free to dish me a few punches, but make sure I get a good line in there .

Inventory

NPCs:

Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

When Parker reached the bottom of the stoop attached to the hotel, he light a Lucky Strike, walked a few steps, and caught a cab. It was a bright day, too bright for a suit, but Parker wore one anyway because he didn't feel comfortable in anything else.

He told to cabbie to take him to a street on the outskirts of town, a little bit of discarded country road that led into a wooded area. Parker tipped the guy a c-note and said, "Keep it running." Then turned and walked off into the woods.

[Tag]

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 am 
Intermediate
Intermediate

I trudled along behind his little yellow cab, keeping a good distance. You can never be too careful with rough guys. He kept going until we hit the outskirts. The cars began to dry up, so I increased the gap between us. The sun was waning in the sky, throwing a waxy edge over the road's rough surface. The thin green trees clustered on my left indicated we had reached the woods, as did the leafy smell creeping through my windows. Suddenly, eighty-odd yards ahead, the cab pulled up on a rough scrub of grass near to the run-down houses dotted along, set back from the road. I kept going, passed the cab and didn't stop until I turned a corner, when I jerked the car onto a lay-by and cut the engine with a shudder.

Nice try. I was staying where I was. I stepped out of the car and walked back to the corner. I leaned against a piece of fencing, where the cab was just visible, waiting.

Inventory

NPCs:

Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:49 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

Parker walked until he reached a large tree on the far end of the wooded area, marked on the wood with a large 'X'. He turned and walked until he found a large branch, then came back and began to dig.

About ten minutes later he unearthed a metal box, which he unlocked with a key from his jacket pocket. Inside the box was the other hundred fifty thousand from the thing in New York, with Val Marroll and the Outfit, who, Parker was assured, still had a contract on him.

The reason for digging up the money was simple; Parker was financing a job here in Jersey with a heister named Skimm--also known as Lasker--and another guy, more trustworthy, named Handy McKay. Parker didn't like Skimm, and was only in on this job so he could get a good money cushion to live in Jamaica on, enough cash to carry him until the next heist.

He stuffed maybe ten thousand dollars, in hundreds and fiftes, into a thick envelope which he in turn put inside his jacket pocket.

When he came out of the woods, he saw Bansfield. Parker had wondered if the Outfit would put a tail on him. Of course, this guy could be a farmer, but in his dark suit he sure as hell didn't look like one.

Parker began to walk towards Bansfield, moving quickly, saying nothing.

[Tag...hope you don't mind confrontation so early, and if you do, I'll be glad to edit.]

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 am 
Intermediate
Intermediate

That's okay. I thought about following you, but I figured that even if I personally would be that stupid, Nick wouldn't.

I waited for about ten minutes, breathing deeply and pulling strips off the damp wood before Flynn emerged from the woodland. Almost immediately, he turned to face me. I met his stare calmly and didn't try to look away. He began to march purposefully towards me. That was unexpected, I had to admit. I had kept more than my distance, but sometimes, if they're on guard, they're on guard. I thrust my hands into my pocket and tried to look unmenacing. It wasn't hard.

Inventory

NPCs:

Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:19 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

Parker walked until he was within' arm's reach of the tail, at which point he said, "Something the matter, friend?" He kept his tone neutral, his eyes locked onto Bansfield's face. After speaking he reached into his inside jacket pocket and pulled out a pack of Lucky Strike Greens, and lit one with a wood match.

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:36 am 
Intermediate
Intermediate

I shrugged, and looked him over calmly. "No problem. Wondered if I might share that cab you got," I gestured to where it stood running, the driver now watching us intently, "there's a problem with my brakes." I turned from him and lifted the hood, propped it up. My brakes were in godawful condition. "I don't want to drive this heap any more, so I parked up here. I happened to see you left your cab running, so I figured I'd wait for you."

Inventory

NPCs:

Beretta 92
Vehicles
One small Ford (blue)
Other Things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:28 pm 
Intermediate
Intermediate

Parker frowned, not speaking as he thought this over.

The job had looked sour from the beginning, the whole thing stank. Too many complications, too many things to worry about. First Skimm's woman, Alma, began to look as though she might cross Parker and Handy and Skimm and make off with the whole pie. Second, the Outfit, who had a contract on Parker's head. And third, this guy, a tail. Parker wondered if he was from the Outfit, the police, or a third party, and he guessed it would probably be a third party. A hitman following him would've tried to carry out the job while Parker was in the woods, take out the cab driver and wait in the backseat, or something like that. The cops would've busted him by now if they knew where he was.

It stank, and Parker didn't know how much longer he would take it for. "What're you doing out here, middle of nowhere?" He said, smoking.

-Professional Thief-
[Open For Heists]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next